What is SAP’s Remote Support Platform? And why should I use it?
Remote Support Platform (RSP) streamlines and automates key SAP Business One support functions, including:
- Enabling your system to receive ‘Corrective’ and ‘Healing’ Tasks from the SAP support team
- Accessing the health of your system’s important technical settings and configurations
- Providing a backup scheduler that ensures that your SAP databases are properly backed-up
- Providing the option to automatically download software updates from SAP
- Enabling you to upload a copy of your database to SAP’s support team if needed
Wow, that’s a lot. First off, it sounds a bit like ‘big brother is watching’. How do I control this thing?
RSP’s Configuration is user-maintained - you control which operations RSP performs and how they are to operate. You tell RSP which of your databases to monitor and each database’s function – Productive, Testing, or Demo. You indicate how to handle new and updated Tasks made available by SAP using tools such as Manual Approval and Automatic Approval / Rejection.
What’s up with these Tasks? What are they? And how do they help me?
Each function that RSP can perform on your system is delivered via a Task. There are several types of tasks – Corrective, Health Check, Database Maintenance, and even System Tasks such as a Task that downloads new Tasks from SAP. Examples include:
- A task that corrects discrepancies in inventory valuation
- A task that collects user feedback on help pages and sends this information to SAP
- A task that reports on any manual postings to the inventory account(s)
- Tasks to rebuild database indexes and database statistics. These tasks often improve system performance, especially after running the SAP Data Archive Wizard.
- Tasks to backup and optionally restore databases
Each Task has a Status – Incoming, Active, Rejected, and Inactive. The system administrator decides whether to accept or reject new tasks, and can change the Status of existing Tasks.
SAP’s support team may create new Tasks when scenarios requiring corrective action are found.
RSP in action
This example shows the RSP Task List. Note the Category and Last Execution Date:
And here's the results after clicking Run on the highlighted Task. The report provides transaction information to help explain discrepancies between the Inventory Audit Report and the GL Account balance: